Who are refugees today?
10 shocking facts about the world’s refugee crisis:
- There are 26 million refugees globally
- Half of the world’s refugees are children
- 85% of refugees are being hosted in developing countries
- Lebanon hosts the largest number of refugees per capita.
- The Palestinian refugee crisis is the longest running refugee crisis in the world
- The majority of refugees come from just five countries: Syria, Venezuela, Afghanistan, South Sudan and Myanmar.
- Syria has been the main country of origin for refugees since 2014 and at the end of 2019, there were 6.6 million Syrian refugees hosted by 126 countries worldwide.
- The international community, and in particular wealthy nations, are failing to meaningfully share the responsibility for protecting people who have fled their homes in search of safety.
- Instead, lower- and middle-income countries are doing much more than their fair share — hosting more than double the number of refugees that high-income countries are.
- The refugee crisis is a human crisis: Behind the statistics are people filled with unique life experiences and dreams for the future. They are mothers longing to return home, fathers yearning to work again, children searching for a childhood. From as a little as £25 per month you can sponsor a refugee child and alleviate their suffering.
More updates on our work
A beautiful tradition being taught to us by the loving hands of Omm Ali. Omm Ali is one of several…
This Ramadan the people of Lebanon are facing the ongoing Pandemic and a worsening economic crisis. Local mosques are hubs…
Age brings new struggles for refugees living in Lebanon. Declining health, fewer economic opportunities, increased costs for food and even…